Thursday, January 10, 2008

Therapy?

So I dont know if this is a sad, happy, funny or what.... Well in August of this year, my Great Grandma Iva passed away at 93 years of age (good for her, thats a long fricken time)...anyway, my kids witnessed the passing because we all knew it was coming and we were at the house visiting with Grandma until she was gone. Well i think in some way, that was really traumatic for Emma (my oldest, who is almost 5)...at that age you dont understand death really well and do not understand why people cant just stay here. Well every now and then, Emma will get really sad and when I ask her whats wrong, she will say, "I just miss my Grandma Iva"....and we talk about it for a minute and then she is fine. Of course, now she has Graci doing it every once in awhile and she will say, "Gramma Iva died"....we say, yeah we know....

So last night, Emma had ballet and when I got home from work to pick her up and take her she seemed really emotional. I had asked her what was wrong and she once again said that she was really upset about Gramma Iva...I explained that when people get old they have to go to heaven and blah blah blah....and she seemed ok.... Well we got to Ballet class and when her 30 minutes or strenuous ballet time were over she came running out of the class in tears! She said she just was so sad about Gramma Iva.....We talked more about it in the car and Emma came to the realization that its ok if she dies when she is old, but that she doesnt want hair like Gramma Iva's (short, grey and curly...like every old women)....she wants long hair with color! LOL, she says some funny stuff. So I wonder if I should get this kid some therapy or something.....She just cant get over it! Any advice?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My oldest son (4 yrs)is actually in therapy. With his dad and I getting a divorce he had so many emotions that he didn't know how to get out. It is great! They play and talk and actually when he is done he talked more to me about what he is feeling. We would go over things and he seemed to be fine but then the next day started it all over again. He has been in only about a month, and the difference on how he talks about the situation and how he really seems to let it out is amazing!