Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Taste of teenage years...

Does anyone else have problems with their 5 year old back talking? OMG....mine seriously goes to bed early EVERY night for talking back to me! She thinks she is big or something and ugghhhhh, it makes me so mad! I am a firm believer of spanking, however, times have changed...you spank your kid and they tell the wrong person and you are going to jail for abuse! I got spanked as a kid and trust me...I feared my mom! And I think thats a good thing! When i went to do something bad, I thought about getting in trouble and getting a spanking and that was enough to make me stop dead in my tracks! BUT I always told myself that I would never spank my kids...that there are better ways to punish and blah blah blah (not going to deny that I havent spanked them...just not as much as I should, I suppose...lol). I was telling my mom about Emma the other day and she said, "Paddle her ass".....well its easier said then done. I mean, the few times that I have spanked my kids, I felt HORRIBLE about it....it sucks! Here is a small list of things that my kids do and say:

They get in the fridge without asking (YES, this pisses me off)
They go outside without asking
They take off to the neighbors yard without telling anyone
"I hate you"
"I dont love you"
"Your not my mommy"
"Its not fair"....but they have to scream it in your face
"I am going to go anyway"
They go outside EVEN when you have just told them no
You go outside after them and they run faster...AWAY from the house

Any advice...?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you find a way to stop this please let me know. my 4.5 yr old does everything on that list! I spank and it still doesn't help

goofy2lisa said...

I know there is a book called the strong willed child (I have one too), and also The Birth Order Book. These may explain why they are acting that way, and possibly some ways to help. Don't worry all kids act up, don't let anyone tell you different. We have our hands full with Ben and Anna.

Erika said...

Glad you found me on here and glad to know that my five year old isn't the only one!!! I will tell you this...spanking is hard (I always feel awful), but I've recently been using "sassy sauce." I put white vinager in a spray bottle and if they sass once, they get a warning, they sass twice, I spray it in their mouth...Ii'm happy to report that I've only sprayed Maddie (the 3 year old) twice...and Ayden once, and now a warning usually works!! AND it's safe because it's food so it can't be abuse!!! Give it a try, but be ready for a gag reflex!